
The miles go by, stop by stop, and I've met a few people. Léticia, a very pretty Argentine girl, is going to stay for a time with her sister in the Detroit area. We commiserate and manage, despite it all, to understand each other between my bad spanish and her better English. Unfortunately, we have to split up fast at the Cleveland bus station without the time for a picture... I also met two young men from Uzbekistan to work for three months in a fast food joint located in a town in Illinois. They are motivated, which is all the better...

At the Toledo bus station, Janie comes to sit down next me on the bus. After awhile, we start conversing. I tell her about my project, about Kerouac and the Beats.... She appears very interested and says that in 1957, at age 17, she was a beatnik, and that year what she still remembers most is having met the "King", Elvis Presley, in person....
No comments:
Post a Comment