Paranoid in Omaha

iowa-163.1183951164.jpg

Wake-up call very early in the morning in Omaha City. In the bus station's restrooms, I am taken aback by a strange old man with a beat up mug who could have come straight out of a David Lynch movie. He is in the middle of cleaning his dentures. He gives me the willies. He is wearing a baseball cap with an American flag and the words "American & Proud". A guy in a big rush had harsh words for me because I passed between him and the mirror to get to the sink. Later, when I was desperately running around looking for an internet connection, and I asked for directions, I felt for the first time some disdain because of my foreign accent and being an outsider...

iowa-111.1183951133.jpg


The bus leaves again after an hour. Am I developing an ugly paranoia of Bush's America...? Truck drivers are among his most loyal supporters... - Calm down - No, I'd rather think about the America that I love, that I admire and respect for its open-mindedness and freedom...

No comments:

Post a Comment