Kerouac Festival Gala I


dscf0053-1.1186435616.jpg

The Boulder Theatre is hosting the gala event in honor of Jack Kerouac. In the program: artists, musicians, readings as tributes, and a showing of the film On the Road Now by Dan Boord. The place is packed. Next on the stage is Junior Burke who opens the gala with musicians playing a rock-folk melody influenced by soul and blues. It's a clip from his album “While You Were Gone".

dscf0012.1186435651.jpg

Junior Burke is an accomplished artist: writer, singer, and songwriter, notably for Bob Dylan and Richie Havens. He also directs the Jack Kerouac School of Disembodied Poetics of Naropa. Upon returning from the Longmont gas station of the other day, we ate dinner together in an old Irish pub and commiserated a lot. Our discussion lead us from Kerouac to the political situation in today's America. When I confirmed that, in France, peoples' opinion of America was becoming more and more negative -- yet I grew up in Normandy, where Americans had always been considered as liberators -- I then perceived a real sadness in his face... But to me, such guys like him are the real heirs of Kerouac, and I so very much wish that they will have the chance to show us again the benevolent face of America...

No comments:

Post a Comment