
When Jack stopped in Chicago to reach Denver in the first part of On the Road, he spent a day sleeping in his hotel room, then another day wandering along North Clark Street. He was impressed by the signs of a number of bars on this street. These days, North Clark seems a lot less lively, aside from a few bars and Irish pubs. The area is presumably no longer the neighborhood that make Chicago vibrant.

Given the oppressive heat, I stop for a beer in a nearby bar. One surprise I discover was that certain bars in Chicago are non-smoking. I get settled at a small table. While two waitresses behind the bar harbor bosoms the size of the country or bigger, I notice two girls fresh out of Playboy coming to talk to one customer or another. Maybe I could make myself a movie... It's possible, since this place is called The Boss, with Al Capone painted on the front by the entrance...
No comments:
Post a Comment