
This is where my road ends, here in front of the Vesuvio and facing Kerouac's name engraved at ground-level of the alley named after him. As a finaly tribute, I think of the author of these lines: "I realized that I had died and been reborn numberless times but just didn't remember especially because the transitions from life to death and back to life are so ghostly easy, a magical action for naught, like falling asleep and waking up again a million times, the utter casualness and deep ignorance of it. I realized it was only because of the stability of the intrinsic Mind that these ripples of birth and death took place, like the action of wind on a sheet of pure, serene, mirror-like water..."

To you, Jack -- thanks! Because of you, I was lucky enough to travel in a country which is deserving of much more than its portrayed image of these last few years. Lucky also, to have met people whose generosity continuously impressed me throughout my entire trip. Thanks to all of you who have followed, written, and accompanied me on this path. If you wish to keep abreast of future events or even to acquire a reprint of a photo, do not hesitate to write me. The Beats go on. And the road goes on, forever...
I admire what you did. After reading On The Road and Dharma Bums, I became obsessed with Jack Kerouac. Hopefully I can make the same journey someday.
ReplyDelete